Author Posts

April 5, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Ok, I'm normally quiet and easy going.  Nothing normally bothers me, but after recently trying to buy a house I have to freaking vent.

How, in today's world, is a person supposed to get anywhere when the whole world seems to be built to serve people who've already gotten somewhere???

I'm in my 30's, and live in a rented house with my girlfriend and her daughter.  We have become sick of dealing with our landlord, and decided to look into purchasing a house.  Almost immediately we found a house we liked which had a suite in the basement which would reduce the mortgage payments to $400 per month (which is less than half what we pay in rent).  Here is where the problems start.  We don't have much in the way of savings because frankly renting isn't cheap, my girlfriend has been on disability for years for an anxiety disorder and MS (and will likely be on disability for the forseeable future), and I have about $14K in debt due to school and the legacy of a misspent youth.  I've tried to find other avenues to get money for a downpayment, but my parents aren't able to help due to me having a few siblings and its “not fair to help one and not the others”.  My girlfriend is estranged from her family (who are a bunch of drunks and drug addicts anyways) so can't go to them either.  Financial professionals have suggested a)selling our second vehicle (Second Vehicle?? We have one that paid for outright! If we could afford a second we would have used it for a downpayment instead!)  b)selling some heirlooms (heirlooms! are you freaking kidding?! If I had heirlooms don't you think I'd have house money??!!  If I sold everything I owned I wouldn't have enough)  c)getting a second job (oh? a second job! why didn't I think of that?  I mean, I already work full time, why should i bother with that leisure activity called SLEEP!).

Frankly, I don't see how people who aren't already wealthy can make any headway in this country.  I make a moderate income, but I don't have the skill, education or self-esteem to move to a higher paid job.  My girlfriend isn't physically able to work (and even if she was there's still the issue of psychologically not being able to handle it).

I just cannot understand the point of a society that won't let a middle class family get some financial breathing room so they can get ahead.