Author Posts

May 12, 2014 at 10:44 am

I have an interview for a cupcake decorating position in a family owned cupcake shop. I do not have experience decorating cupcakes as a job, but I have baked and decorated many times for many years on my own. My creations often leave people in shock that i made it and they ask if i bought my cakes because they say how amazing they look. I taught myself and practiced practiced practiced. I taught myself to do buttercream roses, writing, and borders on cakes. I also practiced how to level and frost a cake properly, my cakes are always level and as neat as i can get them. I made a cake for my mom on mothers day two years ago and she swore I bought it from a store, I told her no I promise I made it myself in my small apartment kitchen. I took pictures of some of the cakes I baked and decorated, I am wondering if I should show them to my Interviewer? I also told her over the phone that I can do other jobs such as deal with customers, answer phones and handle money so I am not rejecting any other types of jobs. Also my availability is open and I told her I am free to work whenever needed. I guess my question is this, Just because I never worked in a bakery before, can that really affect my pay rate even if my work is really good? Experience is important but what if my skills are really good? does that matter, yes or no? Please answer this with knowledge of the industry and not guesses, thank you.