Author Posts

March 19, 2017 at 7:03 pm

My Dad never used to be like this, but his behaviors have been getting worse over the years and it really is bothersome to watch.
<p style=”text-align: left;”>For starters, he is an excessive talker, has selective hearing, is super defensive, close minded, very critical and negative even though he swears he is the most positive person in the family.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>His excessive talking mostly happens when I am in the car with him. He goes on these long monologues about his life or some news story I’ve already heard a dozen times. He tells me the same stories, so dang often that I can recite them from start to finish with ease. He also repeats himself and cusses a lot. And asks a bunch of rhetorical questions, but gets upset if don’t answer them. I thought that by remaining silent and messing with my phone would help him get a clue. But that invites him to talk even more. One day I told him, “sometimes I would just like to listen to the music and watch the scenery”, but he got up in his feelings and told me that I’m just like my mom and don’t know how to have a conversation… another day I lost my cool and told him that he talked to much, then he pulled out the “pity card” telling me “what if I died tomorrow, you’re going to miss these car rides” or “I’m your dad I can say whatever I want”, sometimes he curses at me and calls me degrading names. He always pulls the “what if I die” shit to make me feel bad, but it’s getting on my nerves and I have ran out of sympathy. If he dies I would remember the good times we’ve shared when I was younger, when he was a happier person… but the car rides with his excessive and constant talking, pushing his opinions on me daily, will not be missed.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>He is unwilling to acknowledge his own flaws and bad behavior. He has no problem criticizing me, my mom or others for our flaws, but the moment we point out his (out of concern) he either minimizes the situation with humor/immature behavior or gets very defensive and argumentive. It’s frustrating. Regardless, of the topic he is always right and of anyone disagrees with him then something is wrong with him. If anyone thinks differently than him, something is wrong with them. When it comes to me, he will bully me with constant lectures proving how wrong I am for disagreeing with him.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”>I understand, that hes at an age where he must think he has lost a lot opportunities in his life. He regrets many of the decisions he makes. I know because I get trapped into listening to those stories on a regular basis. He is downward spiraling and doesn’t know how to deal with his situation, but the behaviors are unbearable and his general attitude is making me lose some of the affection I had for him when I was a child and that’s a scary think to experience.</p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”><span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>H </span></p>
<p style=”text-align: left;”></p>