Author Posts

April 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I'm a teacher, middle school to be exact. It's a war out there. What doesn't help is when students are complete knuckleheads and parents never hold their children accountable, but rather blame the teacher for any kind of discipline. I had a group of kids playing blackjack under their desks. They were asking for more time on our class activity just so they could continue to “covertly” play their card game. So I came over to help them and subsequently write them all detentions instead. That night I get an angry email from one parent exclaiming, “Do you even have a rule posted in your classroom that says students can't play blackjack? If not, then I am very disappointed in your actions.” The most frustrating thing as a teacher today isn't class size (though mine are pretty big at 38  kids per class), and it isn't testing either. The most frustrating thing is parents who are believe the lies their kids tell them about how innocent they are and immediately assume I am a horrible person for holding their child to any kind of accountability. Someone has to do it. I put my heart and soul into what I do. I love these kids… even the knuckleheads. 🙂 That's why it is so hurtful and shocking to see today's parents completely undermine respect for teachers in the home and communicate with such dismissive disdain. I work so hard to ensure their children have the very best education every day. And they (a few of them) treat me like dogshit.