Author Posts

November 7, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I was in my neighborhoood grocery store last week when I ran into an old friend from high school.  Keep in mind, high school was several years ago for me.  Ok, it's been twenty-one years.  Yikes, huh! Laugh  He's moved back to town after a divorce.  I remember him from high school as a nice enough guy, but kind of quiet and shy.  He was more an aquaintance back then.  I remember going over to his house once, and he was so nervous about having me there!  Funny!  Anyway, he gave me his phone number and told me to call or text him sometime. 

Today, I texted him just to let him have my phone number too.  I really didn't think much of it.  As you know, if you've read some of  my previous rants, I have a loser of a boyfriend that I have enough trouble with, and I'm not even sure what's going on with my life with him, so you can imagine I'm not really thinking of any dating or anything.  It was just a greeting.  So, he texts me back, and told me he was so glad to hear from me.  We texted back and forth for a little bit, then he told me he had a confession.

He proceeded to tell me that he really had a crush on me in high school, and that over the years, he's thought of me a lot and compared the girls he was with to me.  Weird, huh?  He told me that he thinks I'm beautiful, and sweet, etc.  I told him he was crazy, because I'm a lot older and different looking now.  He said when he saw me at the grocery store, I took his breath away.  Also weird, huh?  Then he told me he was super embarassed about telling me all this stuff, and that he hoped I wasn't mad.  I told him that I was very flattered and left it at that.  I told him that I might be up for a get together over coffee or something someday.

The thing is, I have had the same dumbass boyfriend for almost nine years now, and I'm not that sure I want to ever be with anyone else once I get rid of him.  Also, even as much of a loser as my boyfriend may be, I would never cheat.  I don't believe in that.  I was just really taken back by all the things this guy was texting me today.  It was almost like he was over the top with all the gushing compliments and calling me beautiful, and sweet.  He hasn't known me for years!  He has no idea who I am now.  He knew me when we were kids, now we're older and different. 

So, my question is, can this guy be for real, or is he just too creepy?  I don't know too many guys who would say all of that stuff to a woman they barely know.  I have been out of the dating scene forever, so I'm no expert, but this seems extreme.  Should I be freaked out about him?  Am I leading him on at all?  I really need some advice this time instead of giving it.  Also, he said every once in a great while, he had tried to look me up on the internet.  I found that strange, but maybe it isn't.  I don't know.  I'm confused.  As always, thanks for reading one of my crazy rants.  I appreciate it.  Hopefully I can get a little advice.