Author Posts

July 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I just want to start off by saying I do love my mom. I'd never trade her for anything… Except on the days that end in 'y'. I don't know if it's because I'm a teenager or because she just thinks she knows everything, but she never listens to me or cares about my feelings about something. I tell her I want to visit the doctor because I have chest pains and it's suddenly hard for me to breathe sometimes. She blows me off and starts talking about something else, usually how her day went. That's all she talks about anyways. Her day, her feelings, her thoughts, her opinions, what someone said to her, how good she did at work… Her. And heaven FORBID she has a headache or a splinter in her thumb that won't come out. You'd think the world was ending with how dramatic she plays it up.

But that's not what's bothering me now. She's careless with our money. Sure, she's the one that earns it until my job gets set up and all, but she never thinks ahead of time about the impact it has. For example, she knows our rent is due *tomorrow*. That's $605 due by 5:00 PM. What does she do? Perhaps set that aside and then look at what's left? No. She buys a coworker an $11 lunch at McDonalds, has a $25 dinner when she gets home, and then wonders why we'll have to pay an extra $100 dollars NEXT WEEK for the rent because she left us with nothing.

So fine, whatever. It's not like it's the first time we've had to do that. Then my brother calls. He needs $20 for food. I ask if he can wait until next week when we have a little leniency in our budget for him, he says sure, no problem. So what does mom do now? Puts $40 in his account today!

Now we're already behind on rent, bills are due, and we haven't even gone grocery shopping for ourselves yet! There are two soups and some shredded cheese in our cupboards. That's it.

I'm tired of having to be the responsible one and the adult in the house, and I'm not even out of my teens yet! I'm just worn out dealing with her ego and her carelessness and now it's affecting me too. I've tried talking to her about it and all she says is that I'm a selfish little girl and I need to stop thinking only about myself. Okay fine. If watching our budget so we don't have to starve for a week and actually pay rent on time is selfish, then I'm as bad as it gets!

August 7, 2011 at 4:01 am

You're mother is like that too???? I just thought my mom was just a crazy old “Mexican Maid” or at least that is what she calls herself. I think it's just some moms who just SPEND money like crazy. frickin parents, right?