Author Posts

August 5, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I found out yesterday that my sister has, and has had for a month, a cat in our apartment. Two things wrong with this:

1: I am highly allergic to cats, and

2: pets are not allowed in our complex.

Needless to say, I was angry with her. I asked her why she brought a cat into our home when she knew both of those things, and she started yelling at me about how she had the cat for a month and that my allergy is psychosomatic because I never mentioned getting sick when she asked me how I was doing. I asked her why would I randomly tell her that I've been getting headaches and having trouble breathing when I thought it was because I was having a reaction to pollen and mold and dust and shit. I had no reason to believe she'd do something like this, so no, I didn't bother her with my allergies. Also, she's in school or out with her friends all the time, and I work, so I don't really see her until the weekends. I took her saying to me, “so how are you doing?” to be a conversation starter, like “how's it going?”And I told her that it's unacceptable to experiment with my health without my consent. She didn't seem to think that there was anything wrong with it, and she didn't believe me when I said that I had been sick for awhile. She said I was making up the allergy because I was being self-centered, and didn't want her to have a cat. I'm just baffled because all those times I ended up in a hospital because of pet allergies seemed to have escaped her memory.

Now, we have both known for a few months that I will be moving out at the end of this month. I told her that she only had to wait a couple more weeks for me to leave, and then she could do whatever she wanted. She said that since she paid this month's rent by herself (I paid our early move-out fee, plus our bills, which was more than our rent and she couldn't pay her share of all) the apartment is technically hers and I am just a guest for the next 2 weeks, so I have no say in what she does anymore.

I was also mad at her because she kept the poor cat locked up in her dark room (there's no windows in her room) for a month. She said that it's my fault for not realizing sooner because the cat has been screeching 24/7. *I feel like I should point out that I have a severe hearing impairment, and never heard the cat meowing. I don't doubt that it was, because I'd go a bit batty if I was locked up in a dark room. I only realized she had it when I walked by her room and saw the cat's paw clawing at the floor underneath her door.* I wish I could go let it out, but I can't afford a hospital visit, and I don't know of anyone who can take it. My sister refuses to give it back to her friend just until I leave. I hate leaving it in her room, but I don't know what else to do. No one else seems to care about it. And how dare she try to say that it's my fault the cat has to stay in her room? And how dare she say that I'm an idiot for not knowing sooner when she knows just how bad my hearing is. She knows that there was no way I could have heard it when she pretty much has to use fucking SIGN LANGUAGE to communicate with me.

I've always known she was a bit selfish and inconsiderate and she has a mean streak in her, but I never once thought she'd go this far. I've lived with her for a year, and I've put up with so much shit from her – seriously, I'm only moving out so I can get away from her. She physically and verbally abuses me on a daily basis (just a few months ago, she broke my nose when we had a disagreement about money), she constantly belittles me and calls me names for no apparent reason, she has the worst temper tantrums I have ever witnessed (and I used to be a cashier at WalMart. I've seen a lot of temper tantrums), she's broken so many of my things when she was angry, she's threatened me, lied to me, and so on. I can forgive all of that, and I have, because she has a lot of good qualities too, and I know I'm not the most perfect roommate either…. But this….violating me, pretty much, and the cruelty to the cat……it just seems unforgivable, and I'd never even think of doing something like this to her.

So here's my question: Am I being ridiculous? My sister and her friends see no problem with what she's done, and our youngest sister doesn't seem to think that this is a big deal at all. I seem to be the only one who is angry.

March 13, 2014 at 11:34 am

this shit sounds f****** ridiculous!!!!! is your sister mental? why the f*** would she do such a thing i she knows your allergies? RESPECT… she needs to look up this word in the dictionary. when i lived with my family, my sister was allergic to cat and dog dander, and i love dogs but i could never get one, i was upset but that was my sister and i was not about to put her life in danger for an animal… your sister seems to care more about a stupid cat then she does about you, and its animal cruelty what she is doing to the cat. so in reality she has put your life in danger for nothing because she keeps the cat in a dark room all f****** day! she yells at you and throws things and shit… if i were you, id beat her a**. no joke, im getting pisssed just reading your message. its absolute bullcrap! first of all she cant bring in an animal into an apartment complex if they dont allow pets, if they find out they can either kick her out or make her pay a fine and get rid of the animal, all that for a cat she leaves in a room all day. i simply cant understand why she did this. YOUR SISTER BROKE YOUR NOSE???????? i wish any of my sisters would try that with me, id put them in the hospital! i feel so bad for you i wish i knew you, id be on your side 150% and tell your sister that she is f****** mental! you are not wrong in this situation, she is completely wrong!