Author Posts

April 2, 2009 at 1:37 pm

My husband and friends kept going on at me to attend the local mothers group. Living overseas due to my husbands work, I suspected that the English speaking mothers group would not be my cup of tea, but I thought I would give it a go somewhat hesitently.

On arrival things seemed okay, however on introductions it soon became apparent that my worries were justified. I think I got as far as telling people my name before all attention turned to my little boy “and who is this”, ''and how much does he weigh”, and “how regularly does he poo”, “does he roll over yet” etc etc. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind chatting about my son, but for two hours solid is pushing it by anyones standard surely.

It leads me to question why, when women become mothers they seem to lose their own identity? Fair enough, not working and looking after your child limits your repetoir of conversation somewhat, however I am still interested in what's going on in the world despite becoming a mum.

No wonder people without children give parents such a hard wrap, if even those with children get bored of the persistent baby chatter!!